Thursday, August 09, 2007

Time to quit your day job | Google pays you up to $10

Now you won't be an employee of Google's, but a Google Representative. All you have to do is own a digital camera, have access to a computer (and internet; come-on people, you're making me work too hard at this), and I guess that's it. I mean, I'd suggest you use a car, but for dense cities I guess walking would be your best bet. So what's the deal? Google is attempting to compile the most accurate small business database around, and they need your help. From the FAQ section:

"As a Google Business Referral Representative, you'll visit local businesses to collect information (such as hours of operation, types of payment accepted, etc.) for Google Maps, and tell them about Google Maps and Google AdWords. You'll also take a few digital photos of the business that will appear on the Google Maps listing along with the business information. After the visit, you submit the business' info and photo(s) to Google through your Local Business Referrals Center, and we'll pay you up to $10 for each listing that is approved by Google and verified by the business.

All you need to be a successful Business Referral Representative is a passion for helping local businesses succeed, a love for the Internet (some knowledge of Google is great, too), and access to a computer and a digital camera."

Sounds easy, eh? That's $2 per pop to submit info, and an additional $8 when the small business confirms the info. I don't know... hit 10 a day, say 7 of them actually confirm, work seven days a week... that's $490 a week... 52 weeks in a year.... that's $25,480 a year working 365 days a year... lets say you can double that to 14 per day, working every day out of the year... that's $50,960... Dunno if I'd quit my day job, but I love free money.

Now wait, I'd hardly call this free money (great, am i talking to myself in a BLOG... this can't be good). You've got the camera cost, computer costs, gas costs (if driving), varying access to business (a lot of places don't open on Sundays, holidays, etc.), and then there's the people hurdle:

You - "Hi, I'm with Google..."
Business - "You work for Google?"
You - "Well, no, I'm a Representative..."
Business - "Do you have a card?"
You - "Well, no, I don't but I'm here to verify your address and have you heard about AdWords..."

Call me crazy, but this seems like a great idea in theory... I'm dying to see the person who proves me wrong and averages 30 business a day. Good luck people, I'll be watching.

No comments: