Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Pokemon Incident

My friends son is in the hospital for a surgery to help with a pretty serious issue. She and I trade stories about our children because, well, they do stupid shit and it's funny to hear what all they are doing. Knowing that she's freaking out about her boy in the hospital (he's older then my son by about 10 years), I shoot her an email about something that happened in my house last week. The next segment is taken from the original email I shot over to her:

"How you doing mom? Little boy sick got you a bit nutz? Well if it makes you feel better (or not) *WIFE* had a moment with *BOY* yesterday: the mom/son dynamic explodes...

We are headed to see a movie. I am not home – on my way to pick her up. Babysitter is already there. *BOY* declares that he is walking across the back lot to his friend’s to trade PokeMon cards. Apparently, PokeMon cards he JUST got that day from another friend. Babysitter says no, not now. He ignores her. *WIFE* walks downstairs and he’s at the back gate, ignoring the babysitters repeated requests to stay in the back yard (sweet girl, needs more guts). *WIFE* gets him inside. She’s pissed. She’s going on about how disrespectful he’s being...then she notices him staring at the PokeMon cards she’s taken from him... Ignoring her, watching the cards...

*WIFE* - “These!? Are THESE what this is all about??!! Well lets just take care of that to get your focus back on the situation at hand!!”
**RIPPPPPPPPPP TEARRRRRRRR TORNNNNNNNNNNNN**

2 cards ripped to pieces. He’s floored, stunned, shocked... Then I call and light into him after *WIFE* tells me what he did (not mentioning the card ripping, of course).

By the time I get home, he is hyperventilating and literally sobbing unable to control himself. We leave. She calls to check in after the movie and at one point he came downstairs with a bag of toys and said he was running away.

So I spend the whole night with her ALL upset at how she handled herself, feeling guilty, just in a shitty mood.

Mothers and Sons. Thought you’d get a kick out of that.

Later"
So my friend responds with:
"Tell *WIFE*, the day will come when she and *BOY* will reminisce and laugh over the drama. And, he will love her as mom even more."
Apparently she and her son were laughing so hard he asked her to stop heading because he was laughing so hard it was hurting his stitches. I went on to tell her about the times I made my mothers life hell because I was a prick for a couple of years (shut it people, I'm a different KIND of prick now).

She's absolutely right. The bond of mother and son is deep. I know as much hell as I've given my mom over the years, my mommy takes up a lot of room in my heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks,son. Nice to know the circle is unbroken! I had a good laugh over this incident, but tell "Boy" that he can come and live with Grandma and Grandpa anytime.
xoxoxoxo Mom