Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Dark Knight | Viral Joker + ComicCon + DIGG

Last week I stumbled across a post regarding the latest Dark Knight viral website launch. Syncing up with ComicCon, the producers of the film (to be released next year) launched a rather obscure site with a count-down clock. You see from the re-direct they've obviously changed it to the on-site promo. The image displayed along with this post is the actual main page. After the countdown was up, you were presented clues and puzzles to advance to the next screen. The basic payoff was a new teaser trailer. Pretty cool. You were suppose to sync up with individuals on the ground at a location that was quickly determined to be right across from where ComicCon was being hosted (CA). We're talking some cool shit here people. I'm sure if you search DIGG for the posting you can find additional information (or I'll just give you the link I was using). So, what's the point you ask? I'll break into a new paragraph to continue.

Now, I've been reading DIGG for a while now. I've Dug and Buried. Read very heated and angry posts... I've enjoyed being a fly as opposed to a participant. Last week, when I was waiting for the clock to count down, I was glued to DIGG (like many) reading up to the minute information regarding the interaction of this promotional promo site. As I was screaming at the computer:

"What the hell, where are the real time updates... this is CRAP... I HATE YOU DIGG..."
Other DIGG members were posting the same things. It was great. I was on the edge of my seat as it was unfolding. I was part of the group trying to figure it out, calling the provided number (it was a creepy "hostage" message with additional clues... amazing) to gain additional information, going back and forth with posters... I was part of a viral event that has since disappeared from the original location (obviously people have saved the .swf files and captured screens). Virtually being in the thick was simply awesome. Well done Warner Bros. And thank you DIGG.

No comments: