Friday, August 26, 2005

Teaching an OldBoy new tricks

If I hadn't become a photographer who happened to become a designer who happened to become a digital art director I would have studied film. I adore the medium. Hell, I've written two partial scripts that I should really complete before I start on a new project I've been kicking around. I am privileged enough to have enough information in my head where as I can honestly say "Ask me anything related to photography and I can answer it..." I know a lot about a lot of shit, but photography is my golden concept. Film would be my second. At one time I had a DVD collection of well over 400. I have since pawned off many titles, but all in all I can hang with most on an intellectual level about the art medium of film.

OldBoy. I had read I needed to see it. I had read that it made many "must own" lists. I was anticipating it's DVD release. I watched it last night and I must say, for a film to stay with me 24 hours later must really mean something. It was as if I was watching Taxi Driver for the first time - SE7EN - The Usual Suspects - To Kill A Mocking Bird. Films which I hold in the highest regard. I explained the plot to my wife tonight and she looked at me in awe. The story is such that captured my imagination to express perhaps a minute reflection into my own work. It's been a long time since something has hit me so hard. Rent it. Own it. Watch it multiple times. Even if you don't "like" it the staying power is insane.

Since we're here on this subject, lets allow some other titles that you may have never heard of but should:

City of Lost Children (French)
Dellamorte Dellamore
Charade
Way of the Gun
Insomnia (the ORIGINAL people, the ORIGINAL)
Shallow Grave

No comments: