Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Should you ask the woman on the elevator if she's ok?

I've been having a string of good fortune as of late. I've recently accepted the position of Vice President of Interactive Strategy for Two West Inc. I start my new position April 17th. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I am rather excited at the potential for the future; which leads me to this afternoon:

I like to believe that I am a compassionate person. I try and offer help where I can to total strangers as well as good personal friends. I get on the elevator - 32nd floor. I'm already changed into my workout clothes. I'm pumped for a number of reasons (going to the gym early, leaving early, father-in-law is taking the boy for the night). Elevator stops on 27 (I believe). A woman enters the elevator, obvious that she had been (a) crying (b) about to cry (c) obviously upset.

"are you ok?" I ask.

"no, I'm not ok...I've just been fired..." she blurts out.


What seams like an endless passing of floors on the way down to one I'm hit with "holy shit, get me off this god-damn elevator" to "holy shit, this poor girl" to "what in the hell am I going to say to this woman to help her in the least!?"

"I'm so sorry..." is all I can muster. Stunned, not a clue, hoping she sees into my face and realizes that I will in fact listen for the remainder of ride and actually care.

"I had too much to drink last night and said something I shouldn't have...I've worked there 10 years...what am I going to do..." she almost mutters to herself all the while looking blankly into my eyes.

"I'm so sorry...are you going to be ok to drive" I say, still not having a CLUE what to do in a situation like this.

"Probably not..." Choking back the tears.


Elevator hits one.

I'm stunned - standing there having just been stripped from my high, looking at this woman who at that very moment was in the complete opposite state of mind as I glances at me for the last brief moment...

"and the worst part is my husband has cancer" stated matter of fact with a slight hint of rage.


And then she disappeared in the opposite direction. As she walked away I said for the last time "I am so sorry..." which now sounds so trite it sickens me.

Could I have said something other then "I'm sorry" to make her feel any better? Did I even help by opening my mouth and asking if everything was ok? Could I have done more? I just think I could have done more then "I'm sorry" even though I really am. What a shitty end to the day - to be fired the day after you say something in mixed company the night before.

Sitting here (still) all I can think is I am so very sorry for this woman who got onto the elevator this afternoon. I really hope she is ok.

No comments: