Monday, September 24, 2007

Checkers | It aint no pool or fightin

I used to play a lot of Chess when I was a kid. Actually, I used to play a lot of games (no shit, get to the point, you were a kid). In my adulthood I have lost the strategical attack of the game and have since stopped playing with any frequency to mention (save for the massive losses via my Mac). I'm aware of the problem, and seeking professional advice for the condition.

This past weekend the wife and I had the rare opportunity to head out for a good amount of time. I woke up with the wrath of all that is evil for some reason, so I needed to hit something; badly. We opted for the pool hall with good food. Someone RENTED the damn ROOM on a Saturday night, so I was left with 3 options: hit my wife and go to jail, hit a stranger and play the odds on going to jail, or drink and play checkers. So, as stated prior, I'm no Chess player anymore, but checkers to me is slightly more complicated then tick tack toe (that's going to piss her off). So my wife and I start to play a friendly game of checkers at the bar while we wait for 30 minutes to be served cold appetizers. I beat her in the first game. Apparently when I attempted to spew tactical advice I was "being condescending..." so I stopped and set the game anew. I beat her again, but this time she wouldn't let me beat her, so instead she jumbled the board and said "you won..."

It's occurred to me that my limited brain cells can grasp moves faster then that of Chess, while my wife was irritated at the simplicity of the game. The more I drank, the clearer the board became... unlike my wife, who became more incensed the more she drank. She became so unruly that we were asked to leave, and subsequently spat of the waitress who was held hostage by the kitchen staff.

Next time we're playing Scrabble so she can beat me and all with be right in the world.

(Only part of this story is actually true - I did beat her twice)

No comments: