Tuesday, March 22, 2005

New Porsche Vs. Digital Hasselblad

As a professionally trained photographer (many people think I come off as arrogant when I start a sentence this way. It offends people who think that statement deems me a better photographer then they are, and such that I have a wealth of knowledge that they don't to which I shouldn't be so blatant about. Fuck that. For $100,000 [which is what my education fucking cost] and the fact that I am no LONGER a professional photographer, all that first statement says is that I am TRAINED as one) who no longer shoots very often I become lonely. I miss the chemicals, the paper, the negatives, the Polaroid's and especially the sense of accomplishment when I do shoot a great fucking image. So I'll take one of my 40 different cameras and shoot for a couple weeks, or days, or maybe I just look real hard at the camera and think about the picture I could be taking, and then I get back to my fucking digital playground. When I do get the bug it's usually for a new camera. A new digital camera because I've become a lazy slacker who likes the idea of starting out in Photoshop as opposed to cleaning a shitty scan.

$22,000 for a Digital Hasselblad. $22 fucking thousand dollars. Can you hear the conversation:

"hey babe, I know I've been talking about selling one of the kids and getting a Porsche 914, but get THIS; Hasselblad has a new Digital Camera out that uses Zeiss Optics, has a built in 40GB hard drive, and looks like the Honda Element of cameras! What do you think? Get 2? Sell BOTH kids? You're the best..."

Fuck me sideways. I need more inexpensive hobbies.

No comments: